Applications to join the 2022 Presidential Leadership Scholars program have closed. Sign up for updates on the Presidential Leadership Scholars program.
The Successful Presidential Leadership Scholar
The program assembles a unique and diverse cohort of high-potential leaders. Scholars most successful in the program share certain characteristics:
- Civically minded: Acts to improve society.
- Open to feedback: Seeks, mindfully accepts, and actively responds to assessments of their behavior and performance.
- Accepting of diverse points of view: Welcomes opportunities to interact with and learn from others with different backgrounds or perspectives.
- Meaningful professional experience: Has breadth and depth of professional experience — typically 10+ years — and will build on the PLS experience for years to come.
- Demonstrated leadership: Presents an established record of engagement and leadership. (PLS is not an introductory course in leadership.)
- Influence: Is in a position to implement the change they desire.
- Committed to the program: Can fully participate in a rigorous and intense six-month program.
Approach to Leadership
The PLS program challenges Scholars to develop their leadership skills in an environment in which individuals’ experiences are seen as strengths and are respected, supported, and valued. Within this welcoming and inclusive climate, Scholars are expected to do the following both in and out of the program:
- Engage in deep reflection about their personal leadership development, including acknowledging habits of exclusion and creating new habits of inclusion.
- Commit to meaningful interactions with others whose life experiences and perspectives are different than their own, even if those interactions are uncomfortable.
- Include diverse perspectives in the framing of challenges and consideration of responses.
- Work to ensure the full participation of others in influencing change.
- Seek understanding with others, especially when they disagree.
2022 Program Schedule
Module One: January 18 – January 22, 2022
Module Two: February 17 – February 19, 2022
Module Three: March 10 – March 12, 2022
Module Four: April 7 – April 9, 2022
Module Five: May 12 – May 14, 2022
Module Six: June 8 – June 11, 2022